Paradoxplace North and Centre France Photo Galleries

Links to all French Cathedral and Abbey Photo Pages in Paradoxplace

About Paradoxplace

 

Cathédrale St-Julien, Le Mans

 

Back to Le Mans Page

 

The Lady Chapel

The Story of the Cathédrale St-Julien, Le Mans

 

 

 

 

The chapel on the far right of the soaring Gothic east end (built 1220 - 1254) of the Cathédrale St-Julien is called the Lady or Chevet Chapel.  On its ceiling are frescos painted in the mid-1300s and portraying 47 "Musician Angels" of outstanding beauty and outstandingly restored.  The chapel also has some beautiful stained glass windows.

 

Link to Photos from the Lady Chapel

 

 

          

 

 

The Gothic east end of the Cathédrale (built 1220 - 1254) is just as spectacular from the inside - the fact that this photo was taken from the middle of the choir gives some idea of how big the structure is.  The Lady Chapel entrance can be seen behind the cross on the main altar.

 

 

 

 

North ambulatory - the tomb of Plantagenêt founder Geoffrey, Count of Anjou (1113 - 1151 (38)), is rumoured to be around here somewhere, but none of the "locals" knew where, and the place is a guidebook and signage free zone.

 

 

 

 

By contrast with the east end, the nave (dedicated April 25, 1120) is very classic Romanesque.

 

The nave would have been completed by Bishop Hildebert de Lavardin in time for the 1128 wedding of Geoffrey Plantagenêt, Count of Anjou, to widowed Empress Matilda (1102 - 1167 (65)), daughter of Henry I of England.  Geoffrey and Matilda's son, the future Henry II, First Plantagenet King of England (1133-1154-1189 (56)), was also carried down this nave to be baptized.

 

 

 

Lucifer and hoofed devil assistant try and drag down the final judgement balance held by the Archangel Michael and capture another soul for hell (window location unremembered).

 

 

 

The Magi visit with Mary and Son in the Birth of Jesus window in the north nave wall.

 

 

 

The Nativity

 

 

 

The Annunciation

 

 

 

West Window

 

 

The cathedral also has a renowned south portal (though not quite so renowned as the portal (singular sic) of Chartres as claimed in one guidebook).  We cannot comment as it was scaffolded and screened off in 2007.

 

 

For other Paradoxplace links visit the home page:

 

Home Page Latest Updates Site Map Travel Services Insight Pages Artists Cathedrals Abbeys France Spain Portugal Britain Italy Venice,  N Italy Tuscany Umbria Rome, Central Italy Sicily, South Italy Book Pages Middle Ages-1350 Renaissance-1600 Map Pages Information

 

All original material on this site © Adrian Fletcher  2000-2014 - The contents may not be hotlinked, or reproduced without permission